So, in the end of Pygmalion, Eliza finally brings herself to the forefront as a human being and she has definitely had enough of Higgins and Pickering trying to tell her what to do and whatnot. I’m a bit disappointed by this. Of course, it’s great for the character that she developed enough to finally stand up for herself and show those two men what she’s really made of... but I think I liked her better when she was just this annoying character that kept making absolutely no sense to anyone. Not that that mattered because Higgins and Pickering basically just ignored her existence anyways.
I think I found the whole situation amusing. Eliza is trying to express ideas that she has, but no one seems to care. This concept seems to still be a bit true that no one cares about her except for Higgins. When she finally expresses her opinion of everything via slipper to a face, Higgins starts to show interest in her. But, honestly, how is she any different from before except now they’re actually sort of paying attention to her? She always made a giant exclamation with nonsense syllables like “aw-oh-oh-oh-oh” or whatever, but now that it has gone physical, they finally pay attention? What kind of turn around is that?!
I just found the ending to be a bit of a disappoint. It sounds weird, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if they just didn’t care about her still in the end. Would’ve been quite humorous for me.
2 comments:
I feel like they still did not care about her much more than they originally did. They seem to pay attention to her when she gets physical, but they still tell her that she is ungrateful. I agree that she is ungrateful. She has been given so much, from clothing to language lessons, for nothing. Sure, she was a bet for them, but she got something out of it as well, and I think that she did act a bit ungrateful.
I mean, I suppose I agree, but how can you really call her ungrateful? Do you think she REALLY wanted to be changed in the first place? I think she just went along with all of this to begin with because a) she's not the smartest person ever and b) she was hoping maybe a little good would come out of this. I suppose it kind of did, but seriously, she was just a bet to them.
Post a Comment